Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lions And Tigers (No Bears) Oh My !

OK, so it's not a very ferocious look but we felines can be quite fierce when we need to. The bigger felines get all the notoriety 'cause they're "endangered" and the media gets all gushy and fall all over themselves whenever they see any large cat. It kinda reminds me of CNN whenever Obama's around.

Since big cats were on my mind, I thought I'd show you some pictures of some of them. Keep in mind that we smaller felines are just as cute and just as endangered. For example, yesterday I was in the kitchen eating my food and Jimmy comes bopping into the kitchen and steps on my tail. I'll bet he wouldn't step on a tiger's tail (although he has had a few tigers by the tail in the past but escaped uninjured).

These pictures were taken from National Geographic Magazine and they have many large pictures to choose from, including wallpaper which you can download. There's not too many pictures of cats that are my size and I think that's discrimination. Where the hell is "Podium" Al Sharpton when you need him?

I particularly like the picture of the female lynx and her kitten. The content but wary eyes of the mother reflect a basic instinct of all mothers. The kitten, oblivious to the world around him, seems to know that safety is as close as the scent of his mother. Of course. the other reason I like the picture of the lynx is that I can use this paragraph to give you the links to the lynx and other big cats at the National Geographic web site (I'm just so damned clever!).....................
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/index.html

Lions have always fascinated me and I like to think that I have the heart of a lion with a slightly smaller body. The lion has always been the symbol of courage (with the exception of the cowardly lion, who has since found himself) and I admire lions very much. I think everyone feels that they have an inner lion within.

All things considered, my personal opinion is that we house cats are just as important as all these bigger cats. I will admit however, that the large cats I've pictured in today's entry are magnificent animals as well. Their only problem is that they're just not as refined.

The Cat's Meow And Puppy Dog Tales:

A gorilla escaped from the zoo and after 3 weeks, the zoo keepers give up looking for him. Some time later, a man calls the zoo complaining of a gorilla in a tree in his back yard. The zoo keeper rushes right over. When he arrives, he has a net, a baseball bat, a shotgun, and a Rottweiler.

The man asks what the zoo keeper what the items are for. The zoo keeper says, "I'm gonna climb the tree and hit the gorilla in the head with the baseball bat. When he falls out of the tree, you throw the net over him, and the Rottweiler will go straight for his balls." The man asks, "But what's the shotgun for?" The zoo keeper answers, "If I miss the gorilla and fall out of the tree, you shoot the Rottweiler."

A blind man was describing his favorite sport, parachuting. When a woman asked how this was accomplished, he said that things were all done for him. He said, "I am placed in the door and told when to jump. I place my hand on my release ring and out I go"

The woman said, "But how do you know when you are going to land?" The blind man said, "I have a very keen sense of smell and I can smell the trees and grass when I am 300 feet from the ground." The woman asked, "But how do you know when to lift your legs for the final arrival on the ground?" The blind man answered "Oh, the dog's leash goes slack".

That's Possum's Journal for this week. Have a great weekend and more next week.

Stray Tuned !

8 comments:

Pamela said...

Loved the Lynx and her kitten. All of the pics were great!

Paula said...

Don't feel bad Possum, you're the greatest. Love the pictures.

Technoman 2 said...

The old ones are the best and still funny.

Martha said...

Thanks for another great weekend post Possum. It's nice that you get to use the computer while Jimmy's out playing all weekend ;-)

Heli gunner Tom said...

I was always fascinated with BIG cats, especially the Tiger, which we had in Vietnam. I am sure you heard some stories of how gun fire attracted them because they knew they was get a meal...
Sharon is back in the hospital with congested heart failure and will be going back into Rehab.
Take care.

Tom S

Unknown said...

Loved all the picture's Possum! But you are still the cutest.

Linda's World said...

Another great entry Possum. I met a gal this last Wednesday night & thought you & her would make a great couple. Her name is Holly and she is all white and lives with Linda (Footprints in the Sand) and her family in Fresno, CA. Hope your weekend isn't too lonely with 'you know who'off to area 51. Linda from WA but presently in Pasadena, CA

Julie said...

That last line in the joke, priceless. Your just as impressive, no, your more impressive then those big cats.